Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Non-Crumbly Whole Wheat Bread

I used to make a whole wheat bread recipe that came with my mom's Bosch mixer, but it was so crumbly it really wasn't good for toast or sandwiches. I really didn't want to use Vital Wheat Gluten or Dough Enhancer, because I never have those things on hand. Instead I found a recipe that uses eggs as a binder and vinegar as the dough enhancer. Also, it says that the ground flax seed is optional, but I think that the mucilaginous effect of mixing it with water has another binding effect. I made this for the first time today and was pleasantly surprised that even my one year old (who usually chokes and gags on my whole wheat wonders) ate a whole slice and my 2 year old loved it.

Non-Crumbly Whole Wheat Bread

2½ tsp Yeast
1 cup Warm Water
1 cup Scalded Milk
½ cup Honey
⅔ cup Olive Oil
2 tsp Salt
2 Eggs
4-8 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp Vinegar
Optional: Handful of oats and handful of ground flax
  1. If using flax, put 3 Tbsp of WHOLE flax seeds in the blender and whirl it around on grind for a minute or two.
  2. In small bowl dissolve yeast in water and set aside.
  3. In large mixing bowl, mix milk, honey, oil, salt, egg, vinegar, and yeast mixture. Mix together well with a strong spoon - I always use my wooden bamboo spoon.
  4. Add oats and flax if using.
  5. Add flour gradually, 2 C at a time. The dough will be a little sticky
  6. Knead for 5 minutes. Let rest for 5-15 minutes. Knead again for 5 minutes. (Breaking up the kneading time with a rest period in between helps the whole wheat absorb the moisture better, and I've found it helps the bread rise higher.)
  7. Place in a well greased bowl and cover. Let rise, until double, about 1½ hours.
  8. Punch dough down. Knead a few times on well oiled or floured surface. Cut in half and form into loaves and set them evenly into two greased regular sized loaf pans.
  9. Let rise again for another 30 min.
  10. Bake at 350° for about 30 minutes (I had to bake mine for about 45 minutes because I start the oven with my bread already in it). The bread will sound hollow when tapped. Let it rest and cool 15 minutes before cutting!

2 comments:

Britt said...

I will have to try this. I made wheat bread today too.

Britt said...

For some reason I thought you posted that today...okay so it was like 3 months ago. Now I feel dumb. I wish I would have checked this out before I made bread. I didn't have any gluten but found some late last night.