Thursday, February 24, 2011

Soaked Gluten Free Bread

Fresh out of the oven.


It looks like REAL bread!!!


So I finally have gotten around to soaking my GF grains to help neutralize the phytic acid. Luckily GF bread is a very wet batter instead of dough so it makes soaking easier (for me). I used Karen Robertson's Bread as my base recipe and went from there. Today I just used brown rice as a base, but I've got a brown rice/sorghum base soaking upstairs right now.

Soaked Gluten Free Bread
makes 1 loaf

2 cups fresh brown rice flour
2/3 cup almond flour
1 1/4 cup warm water
2 Tbsp lemon juice or vinegar

Mix the above ingredients in a stainless steel or glass bowl with a tight fitting lid. Put lid on tight and soak overnight or for 24 hours. After it's done soaking put the mixture in the bowl of your Kitchen Aid or Bosch with the paddle.

Add:
3 large eggs
1/4 cup oil

Mix together well.

In a separate bowl whisk together:
2 cups tapioca starch
2 tsp xanthan or guar gum
1 1/2 Tbsp yeast
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp sugar

Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients in your mixer. Mix batter on high speed for 3 1/2 minutes. Pour into a greased and floured pan.

Cover bread with foil and place in a cold oven. Set a pan on the shelf under the bread and fill with boiling water. Close oven door and leave for 10 minutes. Remove bread from oven (do not uncover) and place in a warm spot in the kitchen. Preaheat oven to 400 degrees (F). Bread will continue to rise as oven preheats.

When oven is preheated, uncover bread and bake for 10 minutes to brown top. Cover bread with foil and then continue to bake bread for 30-40 minutes. Cool bread on a cooking rack and then cut into slices. Store in an airtight bag or container.

8 comments:

Shaina said...

This looks amazing!

Anonymous said...

You don't have to let it rise for an hour? How?! That looks really good. Have you done other combos of flour and how did they turn out? I was thinking of doing mostly millet with rice.

Unknown said...

You just let it rise for 10 min in the oven with steam and then take it out and let it finish raising while the oven heats up. Then as soon as the oven is preheated you pop it in. I was a little thrown off too, but it works beautifully.

MrsHepp said...

Your loaf is so beautifully high! How did you get it to rise that high while covered with foil? Thanks!

Unknown said...

Thanks MrsHepp!

This bread has great "oven spring" which is rare for most of the GF breads I've tried. The foil doesn't seem to impede a great rise and then when you cook it, it raises even more.

I've actually started doubling the bread recipe and then making 3 loaves out of it because the bread was so big it would poke out of the top of our toaster.

Anonymous said...

Did you use Instant Dry Yeast or Active Dry Yeast? Typical level of IDY is 0.67% Baker's % or 4 grams for your recipe.

Unknown said...

I use active dry yeast. I get it from Costco.

Anonymous said...

Hello,
The first two times I made this recipe it turned out great. It looked exactly like your photos. The last 3 times I made it, it did not rise. The worst was last week. It did not rise with the hot water. It started to rise slightly in the oven, but as it cooled it sank into a rock. I am stumped. I checked my yeast: active dry yeast in the little packages (red star I think) and the date is good for another year. I thought I was following the directions exactly. Do you have any ideas as to why I am not able to make your great bread? I usually double the recipe. Is that the problem? Do I need several pans of boiling water?
Any suggestions or ideas to solve my problem would be appreciated!
RD