Wednesday, February 29, 2012

GF/DF...It's What's for Dinner

This recipe has been lost for about 4 years. I found it about 7 years ago on a coupon forum that I belonged to and we absolutely loved the light, simple flavors of this recipe. Then one day it was gone. I'm sure I cleaned up the kitchen and put it somewhere "safe." Anyway I was beside myself and tried a few different recipes before I finally gave up and decided that it was useless.

Then, the day before my daughter was born I went through a freakish cleaning streak and started unpacking boxes from our move and getting rid of a lot of old gluten-y recipes from my stash. I was about to just dump my whole recipe box in the trash when a little voice in my head said: "Go through your recipes." All but this one and another recipe went in the trash. I was so over the moon about finding it, that later that night (or early the next morning??) when I was in transition and feeling quite uncomfortable I had to show my mom that I found the recipe I had been searching for for YEARS! Now it's digitized so it can never be lost again (hopefully).


Chicken Tortilla Soup with Chicken and Lime

(Coupon Sense forums)

4 cups water

3 tsp chicken bouillon (we use Better Than Bouillon)

1 can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes with juices (we just used regular diced tomatoes)

1 can corn, drained (or 2 cups frozen corn)

1 bay leaf

2-3 garlic cloves, pressed

½ tsp cumin

½ cup raw rice, prepared (or 1 ½ cups cooked rice)

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed

12 oz chicken breast cut into bite-sized pieces and cooked in oil

¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro

1 lime

In enameled Dutch oven or soup pot combine water, bouillon, tomatoes, corn, bay leaf, garlic, cumin, prepared rice, and black beans. Bring to boil and simmer 5 minutes. Add chicken and cook for 5 minutes. Add cilantro and lime juice just before serving.

1 comment:

Christina said...

This looks good... how ever it is definitely a lot different from the tortilla soup made in Mexico. My mom, being from Mexico, never made it; so when I tasted the first time while visiting Oaxaca (pronounced: Wahaka), it was the best soup I had ever tasted. Then a friend back in the USA told me how to make it... and it was pretty darned close. So if you want to know how to make Tortilla soup as made in Mexico, let me know...